Since it was created about 8 years ago, this WebSite has grown to over 9,000 pages.
Even the creators find it difficult to remember all the content ;-)
Therefore we have decided to provide an additional front-end for the User based on a Vocabulary or Glossary of Terms.
We hope to complete a Proof-of-Concept for this work by the end of May, and if you have comments or you would like to be involved, please let us know
In the meantime, here's the Plan :-
Some useful Products :-
- Step 1. Design the structure of the Vocabulary and provide for Terms associated with Roles.
This is shown in the diagram on the left.
- Design Principles
1. Why use a Vocabulary ?
- Because it provides a structured and flexible Approach
2. Which Data Format to use ?
- The choice is wide - including Word, Excel, a Database and XML
- We choose a Database with XML as the publishing medium
- Because this is a widely-used approach
3. What is the appropriate level of Granularity ?
- Terms or Entries in the Vocabulary.
- Because we can move any Term up or down the hierarchy.
- Step 2. Establish the Rules for creating new Entries in the Vocabulary.
- Step 3. Design links from the Vocabulary Content and Tags to the
Pages in the WebSite.
- Step 4. Decide how the top-level Vocabulary will be presented to the User - this will be an alphabetic list and a Search facility.
- Step 5. Decide how individual Glossary entries will be presented.
- Step 6. Produce Specifications for the Proof-of-Concept showing a Glossary-Driven User Scenario.
This will be based on the Top 50 Search terms used on the WebSite.
- Step 7. Build the Proof-of-Concept using a relational Database that supports XML.
- Step 8. Review the Approach based on User Feedback.
- Step 9. Develop the Pilot System.